Diabetes and weight-consciousness are the main drivers for the sugar alternatives market. According to the International Diabetes Federation, 425 million people suffer from diabetes worldwide, which brings forth a high demand for non-sugar sweeteners. And an herbal solution to the sugar (sucrose) free sweetener is “Stevia.” In this article, we will discuss the leading sugar alternatives packaging designs and their effectiveness in the consumer market. But before that, a little insight on “stevia,” which is the main component of the sugar-free sweeteners.
What is Stevia and How is It Used as an Alternative to Sugar?
Stevia is natural sugar substitute extracted from the leaves of Stevia plant (species Stevia Rebaudiana).
Its active compounds are stevioside and rebaudioside, which are 30 to 150 times sweeter than sugar. Our body cannot metabolize stevia, therefore it contains 0 calories like some artificial sweeteners. Stevia is heat and pH stable. It is also non-fermentable; making it better than sugar in many ways. But, Stevia’s taste has a slower onset than sugar and the taste retains longer. Some stevia compositions exhibit a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste.
Usually, Stevia fresh and dried leaves, extracts, and liquid concentrates are used for making sugar alternatives.
The Packaging Design on Leading Sugar Alternative Brands in India
With around 72 Million diabetes patients in India and almost everyone becoming health-conscious, non-sugar sweeteners market is constantly growing. Although artificial sweeteners are available, people are more inclined towards herbal and natural non-sugar substitutes. And Stevia is a powerful herbal solution which is about 300 times sweeter than sugar yet is calorie free. Here we will discuss the information that leading sugar alternative brands packaging are able to convey.
Please note: None of the brands below have paid Bizongo to review their packaging. The analysis is solely based on the opinions given by our in-house experts. If you are a product company looking to get your packaging featured in this section, kindly drop us an e-mail to email@example.com.
Sugar-free is India’s leading sugar-alternative with 94% of the market share. It is a product from Zydus Wellness, one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in India with its headquarters in Gujarat.
Their product catalog includes Elaichi Stevia drops, Stevia Powder, and Stevia Pellets.
Visual Decoding of Sugar-Free Packaging
- Package color: The product uses the brand color yellow blending with green to showcase the herbal composition.
- Brand name: The brand name “sugar-free” is purpose-driven and is self-explanatory to the consumer.
- Graphics: The package graphics include “Stevia leaves” which indicate that leaves from stevia plant are the main component of this product. It also includes imagery of desserts and beverages indicating its viability.
- Highlights: The packaging highlights “0 calories,” “100% natural,” and “Stevia leaves” conveying the USPs of the product.
- Variants: The variants follow the same architecture and visual style across the different packs.
Product information – Sugar-Free Green
Packaging Hit or Miss for Sugar-Free
Hit: The brand name “Sugar-Free” is a big hit as it is self-explanatory. In fact, it has become synonymous to the sugar alternative demand in India.
Steviana is a Saudi Arabia-based brand produced by Said S Bawazir Toothpaste and Sweetener Factory. It mainly uses Stevia leaves for making sugar alternative sweetener powder. The Steviana sweetener is available in packs and sachets of different sizes.
Visual Decoding of Steviana Packaging
- Package color: The packaging uses shades of green to indicate the natural aspect of the product.
- Brand name: The brand name “Steviana” is product-driven and explains the main component of the product to the consumer. Most of the consumers aren’t aware of Stevia as a sweetener, that is why the manufacturer has given a subtitle “sweetener” below the product name to explain the purpose.
- Graphics: The package graphics showcases “Stevia leaves” which is the main component of this product.
- Highlights: The packaging highlights “low calorie,” “healthy & tasty” and “Stevia leaves” conveying the USPs of the product.
- Variants: The product is available in packs of different sizes with similar design and information.
Product information – Steviana
Packaging Hit or Miss for Steviana
Hit: The subtitle – “sweetener” below the brand name Steviana helps the new consumer understand the utility of the product.
Miss: Stevia in its pure composition is calorie free. Therefore, the manufacturer could have highlighted the feature as “Zero Calories” instead of “Low calorie.”
#3 Organic India – Stevia
Organic India is an Indian multinational company who works directly with marginal farmers in tribal villages. The company manufacturers non-sugar sweetener powder, which is suitable for desserts and tabletop applications.
Visual Decoding of Organic India – Stevia Packaging
- Package color: The colors used in this packaging are elementary colors, bringing a feel of rural India.
- Product name: The name “Stevia” is product driven and explains the main component of the product to the consumer. In the packaging, the brand name is given equal importance as the product name.
- Graphics: The package graphics includes illustrations along with a product shot with stevia leaves. The illustration is common across the range of products from Organic India brand with variation in colors.
- Highlights: The packaging highlights “healthy conscious living,” which is also the motto of the company.
- Variants: At present, the product is available in a pack of 25 sachets.
Product information – Organic India Stevia
Packaging Hit or Miss for Organic India – Stevia
Hit: The packaging graphics are uniform across the brand’s range of products.
Miss: It is difficult to distinguish “Stevia” from other products of Organic India brand without actually reading the package information.
#4 So Sweet – Stevia
So Sweet is Herboveda India’s zero calories natural no sugar sweetener. The company is also India’s largest supplier of Stevia to food and beverage manufacturers. Their sugar alternative products catalog include Stevia Extract, Stevia Tablets, Stevia dried leaves, and Stevia drops.
Visual Decoding of So Sweet – Stevia Packaging
- Package color: The package color is slightly different from the competitors’ products. And to indicate the natural aspect, the logo font uses green color.
- Product name: The name “Stevia” is product driven and explains the main component of the product to the consumer. In the packaging, the product name is given more importance than the brand name.
- Graphics: The package graphics are plain with a white strip containing stevia leaves and multiple sweet foods.
- Highlights: The packaging highlights “Reb A, purest form of stevia.”
- Variants: The product is available as tablets and sachets and follows the same packaging design across different packs.
Product information – So Sweet Stevia
Packaging Design Hit or Miss for So Sweet – Stevia
Miss: In the primary packaging, the strip which contains the imagery of desserts and stevia leaves looks cluttered and unclear. Also, the USP – “Reb A, purest form of stevia” isn’t highlighted properly.
#5 Zindagi – Stevia
Zindagi is the brand name of Jhanil Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. and is one of the leading stevia-sweetened products manufacturers in South Asia. The Zindagi products in focus here are Stevia powder, Stevia dried leaves, and Stevia drops.
Visual Decoding of Zindagi – Stevia Packaging
- Package color: The packaging uses transparent bottles, which offers product visibility. The green cap and font indicate the natural aspect of the product.
- Product name: In Zindagi Stevia packaging, the product name gets more importance than the brand name. The name “Stevia” is product-driven like many other products from different brands.
- Graphics: The package graphics include green stevia leaves image with a tagline – Sweetness from the leaf. The package label information changes according to the package size.
- Highlights: The packaging highlights “Zero Glucose,” “Zero Calories,” and “Low G.I.” as the USPs of the brand.
- Variants: The product is available as tablets and sachets and follow the same design across different packs.
Product information – Zindagi Stevia
Packaging Hit or Miss for Zindagi – Stevia
Hit: The transparent bottles, especially of Stevia leaves seems more trustworthy to consumers looking for natural and less processed products.
Seenithulasi is the Tamil name for Stevia. This product is manufactured by MAKa Foods Madurai, Tamil Nadu. The packaging design in focus for this brand includes Stevia Sugar, Stevia dry leaves, and Stevia tea products.
Visual Decoding of Seenithulasi Packaging
- Package color: The green color of the packaging resonates with the natural aspect of the product.
- Product name: Branding and product name is integrated into a single unit. The product name is derived from the Tamil translation of Stevia, the region where the manufacturer is based.
- Graphics: The package graphics include imagery of green stevia leaves image and the actual product. Also, there is a clear distinction between different communication units. And every unit has equal space in the packaging.
- Highlights: The packaging highlights “Best replacement for sugar and artificial sweeteners” in a green band.
- Variants: The dry leaves and sweetener have a parallel packaging design and structure, but, the Stevia tea graphics and color varies.
Product information – Seenithulasi
Packaging Hit or Miss for Zindagi – Stevia
Hit: The name “Seenithulasi” gives a more Indian connect, however, the name is still undiscoverable for many potential consumers.
Zerovia is a natural sweetener made from Stevia leaves. Zerovia International Private Limited manufactures this sweetener under the same brand name. In markets, it is available in packs of sachets.
Visual Decoding of Zerovia Packaging
- Package color: The package design has three clear sections. The top section is green which indicates the natural aspect of the product. The center black strip gives the packaging a premium feel. The bottom section is plain cardboard, which again contributes to natural looking feel of the packaging.
- Brand name: The brand name is a combination of “Zero calories” and “Stevia leaves.” The name is both purpose and product driven.
- Graphics: The package graphics include Stevia leaves illustration, which is different from the competitors’ product packaging.
- Highlights: First part of the packaging highlights ‘0 Calorie 100% Natural’ quality of the product and has the most weightage. The centre of the strip includes the brand logo with a flashing effect.
- Variants: Presently only one packaging of Zerovia is available in the market.
Product information – Zerovia
Packaging Hit or Miss for Zerovia
Hit: Where most of the brand names are focusing on purpose or composition of the product, the name Zerovia brings combines both. Also, the illustration of stevia leaves distinguishes the packaging design from others. This packaging also looks premium.
Rigil Biotech Private Limited of Noida, India manufactures SteviOcal – a natural chemical free sweetener. The flagship products from the company include Stevia powder and stevia pellets.
Visual Decoding of Stevi0cal Packaging
- Package color: The packaging design uses a green color to communicate the natural aspect of the product.
- Brand name: The brand name combines “Stevia” and “0 calories” in an alphanumeric pattern making it both product and purpose driven.
- Graphics: The package graphics include an image of the product’s application area i.e. tea. It also includes a picture of a healthy woman with a tagline – Be healthy, be happy’.
- Highlights: The packaging highlights the imagery that indicates a healthy living.
- Variants: Stevi0cal packaging for powder and pallets adhere to the same packaging design and architecture.
Product information – Stevi0cal
Packaging Hit or Miss for Stevi0cal
Miss: Although, Stevi0cal is an intelligent combination of words – Stevia, 0, and calories; it is difficult to pronounce.
#9 Khadi India – Stevia Leaves
Khadi India is the brand name for products manufactured under Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) guidelines. It is Government of India’s statutory body aiming to plan, promote, facilitate, organize, and assist village industries. The packaging in focus here is Khadi India’s Stevia dry leaves.
Visual Decoding of Khadi India – Stevia Leaves Packaging
- Package color: The packaging uses a transparent bottle with green cap and a label. The label uses a beige background with green colour for text for its primary communication. This gives a natural feel for the product.
- Product name: The product name is prominent in packaging and it is simply the product (Stevia leaves).
- Graphics: The label graphics uses an image of Stevia leaves over a pile of sugar. Also, the product shot occupies maximum space in the label.
- Highlights: The packaging highlights brand logo and “100% Natural Herb Sweetener” text.
- Variants: Khadi India Stevia leaves is the brand’s only product available in the market currently.
Product information – Khadi India – Stevia Leaves
Packaging Design Hit or Miss for Khadi India – Stevia Leaves
Hit: The company uses transparent packaging which allows the consumer to look at and trust Stevia leaves. When it comes to organic products, Khadi India is an established brand in India. Along with the brand logo, the text – “100% Natural Herb Sweetener” satisfies the intent of the consumer.
#10 Gaia – Stevia
Gaia is Cosmic Nutracos Solutions Private Limited’s retail brand, which produces organic health supplements. The brand’s packaging design in focus here is of Stevia powder and tablets.
Visual Decoding of Gaia – Stevia Packaging
- Package color: Blue is the primary color of the packaging, which indicates the health aspects of the product.
- Product name: The product name is simply “Stevia” but, the brand name is more prominent in the packaging.
- Graphics: The logo graphics are extended in the design. This packaging graphics also include the image of Stevia leaves, which is the main component of the product. The primary and secondary packaging of this product uses the same graphics.
- Highlights: The packaging highlights the product’s USPs – “0% Added sugar,” “natural sweetener,” and “zero calories.”
- Variants: Gaia Stevia powder and tablet follow similar packaging design and architecture.
Product information – Gaia Stevia
Packaging Hit or Miss for Gaia Stevia
Miss: The packaging looks decent and different from other brands, but at first glance it looks more like a digestive tablet and not an herbal sugar alternative.
Final Thoughts of Sugar Alternative Brands Packaging Design
Of the 10 popular sugar alternative brands packaging designs we analysed, the common factor is the vegetarian symbol, Stevia leaves, and the images of tea and desserts. Also, most brands have named their product based on “Stevia.” But, the majority of the population isn’t aware of Stevia as an herbal alternative to sugar.
Therefore, brands need to focus on educating people about Stevia as a natural no-sugar sweetener along with brand marketing and advertising.
You might also like to read about color psychology and how to choose colors for your packaging.